Archive for October, 2018

Grampians Health to push high school vaccinations

21/10/2018

Grampians Health will push ahead in its aim to offer secondary school vaccinations in an effort to curb alarming increases inwhooping cough in the region.
Nanjing Night Net

Ballarat recorded 218 whooping cough cases in 2014, compared with 27 in 2013 and 38 in 2012, according to Department of Health figures.

Last month, The Courier reported that nine whooping cough cases have already been recorded so far this year.

The wider Department of Health figures show the Grampians region recorded 393 whooping cough cases in 2014, compared with 117 in 2013 and 131 in 2012.

Grampians Medicare Local immunisation co-ordinator Breeanne Fratin said that from next year students would receive vaccinations in year seven rather than year 10.

‘‘To achieve the transition this year it will be offered to all secondary students in years seven, eight, nine and 10,’’ she said. ‘‘It will ensure we’re getting in early with the booster vaccine to, hopefully, reduce the outbreak of whooping cough.’’

Mrs Fratin said the vaccine was in short supply and the Department of Health and Human Services was trying to source more.

‘‘They’re saying it might take up to six months. If you are eligible, that age group will be notified when the free vaccine program is ready to start,’’ she said.

She said the vaccine was highly effective and would vastly reduce the risk of children contracting the disease.

‘‘The message is about protecting ourselves and making sure we’re up to date with vaccines in order to decrease the risk for babies, older children and adults. Those most at risk are infants and young children.’’

Victoria’s chief health officer Dr Rosemary Lester said the campaign would also vaccinate against tetanus and diphtheria.

She said better vaccine uptake occurred with students in year seven rather than year 10.

‘‘Most of the cases of whooping cough we are seeing are in older children and adults, who contract the disease as their immunity from childhood vaccinations fades over time,’’ she said.

‘‘This schools initiative will increase immunity for teenagers and help protect them from this disease.’’

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Posted in 苏州美甲美睫培训学校 | Comments Off on Grampians Health to push high school vaccinations

Sheep not the only creatures flocking to Port Fairy

21/10/2018

CROWDS are flocking to the Commonwealth Sheepdog Trials in Port Fairy.
Nanjing Night Net

Cent the kelpie gets a cuddle from owner Angela Kracht, from Katoomba, while sizing up the opposition at the Commonwealth Sheepdog Trials at Port Fairy’s Gardens Oval yesterday. 150212DW12 Picture: DAMIAN WHITE

The Gardens Oval is hosting the event which began last Sunday and runs until this weekend.

Trials committee president Bill Paton said the championships had got off to a great start.

“The blokes at the gate are telling me the crowds coming through are double on last year,” Mr Paton said.

“We have some pretty good workers and dogs in action so there is plenty here to see.”

Sections for open, novice and improvers are being run as well as an evening competition held over a trans-Tasman course.

A highlight will be the Australian Dog of the Year competition this afternoon, featuring champions from every state, with the final on Sunday.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Posted in 苏州美甲美睫培训学校 | Comments Off on Sheep not the only creatures flocking to Port Fairy

North Gong’s Diggies braces for disruption

21/10/2018

Uncertain times: The kiosk at Diggies at North Wollongong will need to close during the works.Popular North Wollongong cafe Diggies is facing months of uncertainty and the temporary closure of its kiosk, amid drawn-out negotiations with Wollongong City Council over renovation works.
Nanjing Night Net

After numerous delays over the past 18 months, Diggies owner Aaron Crinis has been told the adjoining North Kiosk will need to shut for 12 weeks this winter to fix structural issues, roof problems and rotting windows in the council-owned heritage building.

While the adjoining cafe will be able to stay open, the operators are worried about the effect the construction works will have on their winter trade.

After seeing numerous problems plague the refurbishment of the nearby bathers’ pavilion, Mr Crinis has called for a commitment from the council that the works will be done in a set time frame.

“We do understand that the council have a job to do and that this is for the benefit of our business,” Mr Crinis said.

“But we would like a commitment to a time frame to give to our 65 staff members and our regular customers, because if it somehow turns from three months to six months we wouldn’t be able to employ all of our staff.”

He said Diggies’ casual staff faced fewer shifts if trade dropped, and believed they would go elsewhere if this dragged on.

“And for our full-time staff and apprentices, we won’t have as much trade or a kitchen that can operate at its full capacity,” he said.

“So while we’ll try to give people leave and manage it that way, the longer it goes on the harder it will be to keep our staff.”

The much-needed renovations were raised by Diggies in 2013, when the roof of the kiosk began leaking.

The council originally said both the kiosk and cafe would need to shut completely for three months, but changed their plans after the operators said this would be crippling.

Late last year, Mr Crinis was told the closure would only need to be for six weeks, but that has recently changed again back to 12.

To help them cope with the renovations, Diggies operators have asked the council to allow a temporary kiosk to be installed.

“We’re obviously quite happy about the renovations, because it will give us a refresh for our business and we are looking forward to doing something interesting with the temporary kiosk,” he said.

“But things are going to be made a lot harder, and that will affect productivity and efficiency.”

Despite these pleas, the council was unable to guarantee how long the kiosk would be closed, as “any construction program can be impacted by variables beyond the control of the council or any other construction manager”.

“Simple examples of a variable impacting on construction are wet weather or additional works only revealed once components are removed,” a council spokesman said.

He said the council would consider compensation related to the building lease if there was a delay in the works.

The spokesman said construction was scheduled to begin in early May, but this was subject to a vote from councillors at the next council meeting.

[email protected]南京夜网.au

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Posted in 苏州美甲美睫培训学校 | Comments Off on North Gong’s Diggies braces for disruption

Pioneer Hargrave soars again in new doco

21/10/2018

Mark Mitsos with Geoffrey Sykes at the Hargrave monument on Bald Hill Stanwell Park. Picture: KIRK GILMOURAeronautical pioneer Lawrence Hargrave and his research into flying machines are the subject of a new film set to screen in the scientist’s former homestead next month.
Nanjing Night Net

Director Geoffrey Sykes developed Father of Flight, a full-length documentary about the Stanwell Park-based aviation engineer.

The film, which took more than a year to complete, comes just months after Hargrave was flagged as a possible namesake for the soon-to-be-built second Sydney airport.

“It’s not even something we should be arguing about, obviously it should be named after him,” Mr Sykes said.

“Hargrave was one of the great scientists of his time and he’s a terrific international figure; his story is just a great part of our history.”

Mr Sykes’ documentary examines Hargraves’ research into wing structures, kites and biplanes, along with whether the scientist was adequately recognised for his work.

The film includes interviews with several scientific experts including Dr Karl Kruszelnicki, as well as footage of regional scenery and hang-gliding.

Mr Sykes also used specially designed interiors and studio shots to recreate Hargraves’ models and life, engaging Wollongong musician Stephen Goldrick to play the famous engineer.

“Stephen was one of those people I had in my theatre network and he’s such a lovely talent, he has this wonderful camera presence,” Mr Sykes said.

“There’s a photo of Hargrave with this cropped beard, it’s almost contemporary and it’s just Stephen – he captured him perfectly.”

Mr Sykes has had a long connection with Hargrave’s story, writing and staging a play about his journey at the now-defunct Theatre South in the ’90s.

“I think his work really captures the spirit of our early nation,” Mr Sykes said.

“Hargrave was a thinker; I was really interested in what motivated him; I wanted to create something that was informative and entertaining and gave an insight into his life.”

Father of Flight will screen at the Helensburgh Tradies Club on March 7 and 20 and at Hargrave’s old residence, Hillcrest, at Stanwell Park, on March 27 and 28.

It will also screen at the Excelsior Hall in theThirroul Community Centre on March6 and 14.

Tickets are available via trybooking南京夜网 or at the door.

A previous version of this story reportedthat this project was the first full-length documentary about Lawrence Hargrave.The Mercuryhas since been told this was incorrect. Filmmaker Jim Davis released The Man Who Would Fly, about Hargrave, in2003.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Posted in 苏州美甲美睫培训学校 | Comments Off on Pioneer Hargrave soars again in new doco

Greens have deer in their sights

21/10/2018

Destructive: Keith Tognetti takes Greens MP David Shoebridge on a tour of the damage done by deer at his Keiraville property. Picture: KIRK GILMOURThe Greens are backing the hunting of deer on the Illawarra escarpment as part of a move to get serious about eradicating the pest animals.
Nanjing Night Net

In what may come as a surprise to some, the Greens have called for publicly funded professional hunters to be brought in, legislation to be relaxed to remove restrictions on deer hunting, and a mix of contraception and sterilisation employed to keep numbers down.

Campaigning in Wollongong on Wednesday before the NSW election, Greens firearms spokesman David Shoebridge said deer should no longer be given game status for recreational hunting, and should be treated as a pest.

He wants the scrapping of laws which prohibit using spotlights and attractant devices to hunt deer, and their culling no longer done on an ad-hoc basis by recreational hunters.

Deer’s popularity as a target for hunters had meant strong steps to eradicate pest deer had not been taken, Mr Shoebridge said, and the NSW government’s approach of allowing amateur hunters to kill deer had poor results for animal welfare.

“We want to get rid of the artificial restrictions that mean the professional, skilled and humanely oversighted shooters are unable to engage in population control,” he said. “The best solution that’s available now is a human RSPCA-oversighted culling program with professional shooters, but that needs to be coupled with a significant investment in non-lethal control measures, because the non-lethal control measures are the things that work year-in, year-out.”

Mr Shoebridge said the cost would be between $2 million and $4 million to get the program started over a number of years.

“When you weigh that up against the environmental damage and property damage, as well as the injuries to individuals who come into conflict with these deer in their motor vehicles – we think that’s something the government should be serious about.”

The Mercury visited Keiraville property owner Keith Tognetti, who said the wild deer came onto his land almost every day, eating any trees he had planted, stomping tracks along the creek line, and causing significant erosion that would worsen the effect of flooding.

Wearing a deerstalker hat, Mr Tognetti told the Mercury how one rogue deer broke a large pot as it was scratching itself against the door.

“They’re coming down in herds of up to eight, sometimes 10,” he said. “They’ve denuded my whole block. They should be categorised as vermin instead of game.”

Deer on the escarpment have previously been targeted by recreational shooters.

Greens candidate for Keira Elena Martinez said she had seen recreational hunters on public escarpment walking tracks with hunting bows, looking for deer, which was more dangerous than a professional culling program.

She said research by Wollongong City Council showed that thousands of deer living in the escarpment were causing many hundreds of thousands of dollars of damage to property.

That research showed deer were most prevalent in the area between Mount Kembla and Mount Ousley, down to Figtree and Keiraville. In the north, they are mainly around Helensburgh and Otford, although other suburbs are also affected.

[email protected]南京夜网.au

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Posted in 苏州美甲美睫培训学校 | Comments Off on Greens have deer in their sights